Topic of the Week: Property Tax/Right of Redemption

Every year, homeowners are responsible for paying their property taxes as they come due. With the recent increase in new construction there have been drastic increases in property taxes; making it more difficult for homeowners to meet their payments. When property taxes become delinquent, taxing jurisdictions then have the right to sue a homeowner for delinquent property taxes and in some instances foreclose on the home.

Protesting Your Property Taxes
Property taxes are based on the appraised value of your home, every year an appraiser sets the value of your home and property taxes based on that value. If your home is designated as a homestead there is a ten percent cap on the annual increase of your home’s taxable appraised value. If you feel that the appraised value of your home is incorrect, homeowners have recourse to challenge the amount of their property taxes. This can be done in a few ways, the Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) now allows homeowners to protest their property taxes online through iProtest and iSettle. If you do not have internet access, when you receive your property tax notice in the mail you can contact your local appraisal district by phone or mail to obtain further instruction as to how to protest your property taxes.

Payment Plans
If you are unsuccessful at your property tax protest and you are still having difficulty keeping your property taxes current, do not ignore this situation. Contact your taxing jurisdiction or the associated law firm that has been retained to collect delinquent taxes and inquire about available payment plans.

Unfortunately, there are situations that arise where homeowners let their property taxes become extremely delinquent and are financially unable to pay what is required to keep their homes. In these situations, homes are foreclosed on and sold in auction by your taxing jurisdiction. In the event your home is sold in auction, Texas law provides recourse for homeowners allowing th